Table of Contents
Leisure battery Refresher course
AGM Batteries for Cars
So here we are again entering the Easter period in our calendar. Meaning that it will be soon that millions of campers and caravaners will be heading for their favourite holiday park or even a new destination.
This year (2023) has not really warmed up yet but already out battery sales are increasing. Due to the fact that some people just don’t know how to overwinter their leisure batteries.
More people going off grid
Importantly, leisure batteries are an essential component of off-grid power systems. Many motorhome users are embracing the new technology of portable solar panels. Including the use of storage batteries.
These batteries store electricity that has been generated by solar panels or other sources. Subsequently they provide power to occupant’s appliances and other electrical devices. Of course, when the sun is not shining or the generator is not running.
Different leisure battery types-Leisure battery Refresher course
To cope with demand over the past few years then there are several types of leisure batteries available on today’s leisure battery market. Consequently, the different types have unique features and advantages. So, within this article, I will discuss the different types of leisure batteries and their characteristics to help my readers choose the right one for their needs.
- Lead-acid batteries. Of course are still way out front in use and popularity. Ultimately still the most popular type of leisure battery. Especially the 105 Ah twin post XV31MF Numax leisure battery. Generally, which are widely used in motorhomes, campervans, boats, and other off-grid systems. With well over 100 years of history, these batteries are very affordable and still reliable. Subsequently, making them a popular choice for many people.
- Lead acid batteries come in two main types. Flooded lead-acid batteries which can require some regular maintenance. Old types with screw tops will require adding distilled water to the cells to maintain proper electrolyte levels. Newer type “Sealed lead-acid batteries” have no screw tops and so only require a visual inspection and cleaning every now and then. So, the second type of lead acid battery is the AGM battery which is completely maintenance free. The AGM battery will also give you deeper charge and recharge cycles which is very compatible with a battery storage solar panel system.
- AGM batteries. Both the twin post leisure battery and the AGM batteries in the 100AH range are the most popular according to my online sales figures. Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are just another type of sealed lead-acid battery. Instead of liquid electrolyte they use a glass mat separator to keep the electrolyte in place. This makes them spill-proof and maintenance-free. AGM batteries are also more efficient and can provide more power in a smaller package.
Lesser used battery types-Leisure battery Refresher course
- Lithium-ion. I must admit that I am not a fan of Lithium-ion batteries. Which are a newer technology that is rapidly gaining popularity. Especially in the off-grid world of camping and caravanning. One thing that’s for sure is that these lithium batteries are lightweight, compact, and can provide a lot of power in a small package. The main stumbling block for the Li-on battery is they are much more expensive than lead-acid batteries. However they do have a longer lifespan and consequently can be discharged to a lower level. So, without damaging the battery. Meaning that you can use more of the batteries capacity before needing to recharge it.
- Gel batteries. are a type of sealed lead-acid battery that in my opinion have been taken over by the cheaper AGM battery. Instead of glass matting uses a gel electrolyte. Like the AGM battery this makes them maintenance-free and resistant to spills.
- Finally, there are several types of leisure batteries available on the market. Thus, each with unique features and advantages. When choosing a leisure battery, consider your power needs, affordability, and the conditions in which you will be using the battery. Whether you choose a lead-acid battery, lithium-ion battery or AGM battery, make sure to properly maintain and care for it to ensure a long and reliable lifespan. Especially having a charging regime over the long winter period.
- Hope you have learned from my Leisure battery Refresher course, to help you choose the correct battery.
- LV31MF ApolloPower batteries-Delivered-To a Boat on the River Wissey- Kings Lynn-Norfolk
- Battery Maintenance Services: Why you should offer battery maintenance services
- LFD140 Varta Professional Boat battery : Delivered to Wonderful Hythe in Hampshire
- Battery Storage Changes Ahead
- Ford Fiesta History-Including batteries
- LV31MF ApolloPower batteries-Delivered-To a Boat on the River Wissey- Kings Lynn-Norfolk - February 23, 2024
- Battery Maintenance Services: Why you should offer battery maintenance services - February 22, 2024
- LFD140 Varta Professional Boat battery : Delivered to Wonderful Hythe in Hampshire - February 21, 2024